random_nexus: (Bitch bitch bitch - me)
Friends, Ficcers, Livejournalists, I have explanations and a little whine with my usual cheese.

I really think that the Fates don't want me to finish this bloomin' story, I really don't.  I'm on the last section of the last chapter.  Seriously, on the cusp of DONE, and I've hurt my shoulder.  I've been in mild denial for a week or two, enough to have hurt it worse (yes, yes, I've been lectured thoroughly by kith & kin for being a doofus, believe me) and now I'm doing my best to baby it.  Left shoulder, which means I can't comfortably type on a reg keyboard, nor mouse on that side.  Using my ergonomic keyboard at home is SLIGHTLY better, but the only way I could (non-painfully) type with it like this is on a split ergonomic keyboard.  I wanted one anyhow, but woah do I need one now!  It, essentially, allows you to type with your hands wide apart, almost as they fall normally when you just rest them in front of you on a surface = no strain on shoulders and biceps to hold your arms inward.

Small expository lump: I have a... generous... chest, hence there is resistance to squeezing my arms inward like that.

Now, this DOES NOT mean "Missing" is dead, it's not abandoned, just that this last chapter is taking stupidly long, as I can either type one handed poorly or type well two-handed for only a few paragraphs before I have to stop.  FEH! 

So, if you're reading Missing and are cursing me for making you wait, I'm so sorry,  If you're waiting to read Missing once it's done, again, sorry.  If you just need to yell about something, go ahead, bring it, I'm prepped and have got my riot gear on. 

Wish me quick healing, wish me fast one-handed typing, wish me a lotto win so I can buy the spifftastic keyboard I want and can type in spite of this, or just wish me luck.  Feel free to wish me Jude Law's Watson on my doorstep with a big bow, too, while we're at it. *wink/grin*

Furthermore, I swear on a stack of signed ACD first-editions that I'll never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever post something unfinished again! 

Srsly.
.

Date: 2010-06-04 05:11 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] storyfan.livejournal.com
Don't you worry. But I do wish I could be your dictation monkey. I know you feel awful about not finishing this yet. But it will happen.

Date: 2010-06-04 06:50 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Kitty chasing butterfly)
*huggaluvs* I just about wish you could, too! I do, I really do, and it's just so frustrating and woeful. It will, it must!

<3
Thank you so much for the support, bebe.

Date: 2010-06-04 05:15 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] igrab.livejournal.com
Love you - just concentrate on getting better, don't strain yourself! ♥ I for one can wait as long as you need - plus, you've got a massively better work ethic than I do re: long stories, so you already deserve epic mega cookies for this already.

And yes, I am waiting until it's done. But - GET BETTER. That is the A+ most important thing!

Date: 2010-06-04 06:53 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Groove Thang)
Awwww, thank you so much! *hugs bunches* Weee! Epic mega cookies! \o/

Good, you'll probably hear the squealing of sparkly joy from there when I finally finish. *grin*

Thanks muchly for the kindness!
:D

Date: 2010-06-04 05:58 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] hitlikehammers.livejournal.com
Take care of yourself, and happy healing! Missing is on my "to read" list in a really huge way -- I was going to print it out and take it with me on vacation when I leave for the realms-beyond-the-internet, in fact, but alas: I ran out of printer ink :( So it's the the well-worn ACD canon that's coming along instead ;)

Date: 2010-06-04 06:57 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (SH - H&W09 - W - Or what? - Me)
Wooo, printed out? Gonna need like two ink cartridges, at least for this badboy! *grin* I'm terribly tickled to know you had that plan, though, whether it went through or not. Ahh, but ACD is always a good choice *grin*, so you're covered.

Enjoy your vacation, whenever that happens, and if it's not done before you go, who knows? Might be done when you get back!

*hugs* Thanks immensely!

Date: 2010-06-04 05:58 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] enkiduts.livejournal.com
(((hugs you)))

Rest and get well! Stories as excellent as "Missing" are worth the wait!

And do not promise never topost a WIP again! I've quite liked the suspense being drawn out--too much about modern life,the internet and LJ is about instant gratification--and am happy to have read your lovely story in just the way it has been presented!

Date: 2010-06-04 07:32 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (SH - Paget - H sit & smoke - Me)
ICON HIGH FIVE! ^5
*hugs back*

That's so nice of you to say!

You LIKE WIPs? You're one of the few, lemme tell ya. *grin* But I like your perspective! *admires it* I think of it like the old serials, when you had to wait a week to see what happened to the brave heroine and her dashing hero when they're dangling on that cliff with the evil villain twirling his moustache at them. *giggle*

Thank you, very much, for the positive feedback.

Date: 2010-06-04 07:55 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] enkiduts.livejournal.com
Heee!! SH icons rule!!

I DO enjoy WIPS (at least except for those that never do get finished, after months and years... but I know only too well how muses can go away and real life intervene, so even then...) very much! I know it isn't a popular viewpoint, but people need to get over having everything there, right now, all the time. It creates a false sense of ease regarding creativity---that it can be plopped out on demand without much effort, and most of the things truly worth reading, that is absolutely NOT true of. Readers need to understand that all this lovely fic comes at a price albeit non-monetary, and if that price is a bit of patience, I say, it is small enough.

I love your contrast to the old serials--where you had to wait a week to know what happened next--that was part of the fun and the sustainment of suspense!

Same thing earlier on---Dickens, Doyle--their masterpieces were often published a little at a time, only later collected in book and full form. I think that WIPs are particularly appropriate to a fandom like SH!

I look at WIPs as something to look forward to seeing the next part of--there is sometimes a let down after finishing a particularly good story all in one sitting--"why isn't there more?", you don't want the experience over so soon. At least I don't.

I say, stick to your guns, if you want to post something as you write it--do it! Sometimes we all need the encouragement of someone giving us feedback while we are in the process of creating, to spur us on--nothing whatsoever wrong with that.

People who don't like WIPs have the option of waiting until they are finished and then reading them. Patience is in such short supply in the modern world, we need more of it!

Now rest yourself and feel better and don't let guilt cloud either your recovery or your writing process! Thank you for keeping us updated!!

Always happy to cheerlead and aplaud a great writer and a wonderful story! You go! But at YOUR pace! :)



Date: 2010-06-05 09:47 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Chic Purple Lady - me)
I totally enjoy your opinion on this, and thank you so VERY much for the encouragement and support.

<3

Date: 2010-06-04 06:03 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] love-bug-54.livejournal.com
Hey, don't worry about it. Just get better and finish the story when you can. I'm typing on a split keyboard right now and if I had a way to teleport it to you, I would!

Date: 2010-06-04 07:34 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (I wonder - 2 gents kiss - me)
Ohhhhhh.... *envies you hard* I wish you COULD! *sigh*
I'm going to have to save up for one. I've found a likely one for under 100$, but the one I REALLY want is about 130$, alas.

Thanks oodles for the kindness!
:D

Date: 2010-06-04 08:11 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] babelmira.livejournal.com
What did you do? *is concerned*

Date: 2010-06-05 06:08 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Ministry of Funny Walks)
It sounds lame to me, but I've hurt both my shoulders on separate occasions, so they're prone to irritation now and then if I overuse them. So, in this instance, I basically had a heavy load at work, with lots of typing, while also typing on my breaks and lunch on my fic, and then going home and typing there all evening for several days, which aggravated my shoulder on the side I mouse with, because at work I have no real support for my arm and wrist. So, that irritated it... then I slept on that same shoulder wrong and made it worse, kind of like pulling the muscles a bit. So, irritated it, then made it worse. And then during some... um... bedroom activities, I put all my weight on it for a little while. The next morning I could hardly move it. Annnd it's now acting almost like a sprain, but I'm babying it like I SHOULD have done.

Yes, I am the lame queen of the lame-arse lame-o's

Date: 2010-06-05 12:22 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] elaby.livejournal.com
Eek, I hope your shoulder feels better soon! That sounds painful.

Date: 2010-06-05 07:54 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Dark Fae Girl)
It is, though slowly less and less. It's more frustrating than anything else, because I can't do all that I really want to. Thank you very much for the good wishes!

:D

Date: 2010-06-05 11:25 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] chaoticchaos13.livejournal.com
Oh darlin, sorry to hear that you are having some shoulder-suck! You treat that arm well. Make offerings to it. Send it love letters.

Date: 2010-06-06 01:11 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Polar Bear Shmoop)
*giggle* You made me grin, bebe. *huuuuuggaluvs*
Thank you so muchly! I'm doing better little by little and, despite the bitching, I really am trying not to let it get me down.

<3

Date: 2010-06-07 11:08 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] gypsyjr.livejournal.com
Looking forward to the Ultimate Chapter (*insert dramatic music*) but of course your health comes first! A wonky shoulder sounds like it would be awfully inconvenient, apart from being painful.

Besides, the anticipation part is kinda fun too. ;)

Date: 2010-06-08 04:30 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (CH - Whap Oof Pow - me)
Heeee "Ultimate Chapter" *includes dramatic music*! Luvvit!

Yes, inconvenient as heckabetsy! I can't TELL you how many things you suddenly realize that you can't do if you can't lift your left arm higher than your boobs or carry anything more than a pound in weight. (Mind you, I could lift/carry, but it would hurt like unholy bejeebuz and make the whole biz worse.)

Anticipation? You gonna get anticipation galore!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!
XD

Date: 2010-06-08 02:53 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] autumnatmidnite.livejournal.com
Nooooes about your poor shoulder :( Does not sound like a fun time at all... Try not to worry so much about finishing and just take care of yourself.

*hugs you gently*

Date: 2010-06-08 04:32 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Le Morte Du Chat Noire - Me)
It is quite the opposite of fun, yes. It's so lovely that you and many others are being so cool about the finishing mellow, I appreciate it SO much!

*enjoys gentle hug*

Thank you muchly and bunches!

Date: 2010-06-09 08:42 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] ars-longa.livejournal.com
You know, I've been checking and rechecking your LJ so many times by now that I'm seriously considering just buying you that keyboard if it's likely to get the job done.

(Side question, from a fellow DD size sufferer who lives in PT some months - does that keyboard really help? I might get one as well, beats breast reduction anyway.)

Do you have a TENS unit? Have you ever tried one? 'Cus I just got one recently through my insurance and, boy, does it make a difference! If you don't, I'd really recommend to talk to your doctor about getting one.

Get better, please. I do grind my teeth waiting for the final chapters, but taking into account my own 2 unfinished sagas, I'm a fine one to talk.

Date: 2010-06-09 09:02 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (GG - Nyah!)
*grins and nods* I know, I know, it's annoying as hell.

(Side answer - ergonomic keyboard helps immensely. The split or completely separate-halves type of keyboard lets your hands rest at a more 'normal' distance, which takes a LOT of strain off of the shoulders and wrists, as well.)

I don't know what a TENS unit is! *curious eyebrows*

Working on it! It IS improving, and I'm inching to the end, even so. Don't give up hope!

Smack up those sagas, bebe! I wanna return the compliments! *grin*

Thanks oodles for sticking through this, even with the delays and frustrations!

:D

Date: 2010-06-09 09:18 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] ars-longa.livejournal.com
Depending on how good your insurance is and how obliging your doctor is the insurance can cover the cost of a TENS unit (which stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) either partially or completely. It's a small device with two pairs of sticky pads that you're attaching to the place where it hurts and it pumps said place with a low-voltage electric current that promotes healing and reduces pain. (In my case, greatly reduces pain). For people who suffer from joint or muscle inflammation and pain, it's a must-have.

As of my sagas, some of the stories in them I _did_ complete, wonder of wonders, and you can find them here (http://www.boyfromkessel.net/Fiction-frontpage.htm). Look under The Springsteen Trilogy - the first two are complete, and the first one is even relatively short - 30 pages or so, a record for me. :) Although, if you're totally not interested in Star Wars, I don't know how interesting it might be.

As for waiting, I'm a fairly patient gal when I want to be, or I won't work as a nurse. But of course, sooner is always better than later.

Date: 2010-06-14 12:05 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] pudupudu.livejournal.com
Might I join in this conversation (randomly). I also feel in need of some breasticle lamentation (mine being a 30 H in Brit sizes which, as far as the label on my bra seems to believe, is there same there)- anyway, result is that I'm rather chest heavy and, currently being on cruches having fallen down the stairs in an ankle ouchy manner, have a v. sore back from having to bend over. Anyway, thought here would be as good a place as any to lament about that :-P

Date: 2010-06-14 01:50 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] ars-longa.livejournal.com
You have my sincere sympathy, sistah. If I wasn't so scared of any major surgery, I'd have applied for breast reduction long ago. Would have solved both the problem of my aching back and the problem of never being able to find clothes that fit (who the hell told those designer dudes that boobs don't grow bigger than size B, anyway?).

Date: 2010-06-14 02:38 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (CH - Whap Oof Pow - me)
ALSO! (re: clothes geared for b-cups) Even larger sizes are so often stupidly designed - they have bras that are bigger around, but the CUPS don't go beyond a DD (generally), which ticks me off because making it bigger at my ribs does nothing for my boobs!

Grrr!

Date: 2010-06-14 03:14 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] ars-longa.livejournal.com
There are no DD cups in our stores. I can't buy a swimsuit, and I can't buy an open-shouldered summer dress, because even sizes 14 and 16 have cups no higher than C! And yeah, they're so big that they bulge wide even on my 42" chest, but the cups are still C! Moronic. I want to see even one living woman who's built like that. Did they ever even see a woman's boobs in their life?

Date: 2010-06-14 04:20 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Anime Cat - Nyea!)
Ye gawdz! What an arse-pain! Or, in this case, boob-pain! Ha! I've seen large women with smallish breasts, but that tends to be the exception, rather than the rule.

And I would be surprised if those designers had any clue what a REAL woman in the wild actually looked like. They're too used to dealing with size 0's. *sigh* BUT I'M NOT BITTER! /bs

heh. *salutes and raises fist of solidarity* <o/

Date: 2010-06-14 04:36 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] ars-longa.livejournal.com
Well, I _am_ bitter. I think I have a perfect right to be. I just returned from a shopping expedition without buying anything beside knitting sticks and some ribbons. (Don't ask. I'll show the result once it's finished). And all I wanted was one or two nice tops to wear to work...

Date: 2010-06-16 12:24 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Flying monkeys)
*nods and pats reassuringly* I agree, entirely. (Oooh, definitely curious!)

Date: 2010-06-16 06:55 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] ars-longa.livejournal.com
I do a lot of beading in my free time (V. detrimental to my writing speed, of course). You can see some of it here (http://picasaweb.google.com/arsllonga/JQjTrH#). Right now I'm making a seed bead rope, Dutch style, to accommodate an overpriced amethyst piece my mom bought back then when we didn't know better. And since I don't want to bother with clasps, I'm threading a ribbon through it. Hence the ribbon and knitting implements.

Date: 2010-06-16 03:21 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Groove Thang)
Wooooo! Puuuurdy!

Date: 2010-06-14 02:36 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Need Choco - me)
*huggas* Yes, you have plenty of reason to lament, as well! Poor dearie. We'll have to start a club soon, those of us with extra portions in the mammalian protuberance department.

<3

Date: 2010-06-16 07:03 am (UTC)From: [identity profile] ajodasso.livejournal.com
ext_13979: (BOOKSLUT)
Having to put things on hiatus is nothing to be ashamed of, don't worry.

(And yes, odd - it would appear that I have you friended, but you don't have me friended, which probably accounts for all the weirdness with you not being able to see my entry!)

Date: 2010-06-16 03:20 pm (UTC)From: [identity profile] random-nexus.livejournal.com
ext_24392: (Ministry of Funny Walks)
Thank you for the support, it's been very nice to hear so many saying similar things - great relief to my mind! :D

(I think it's a matter of my not grokking which version of you I had friended, so 'user error' here. ;p However, tis most certainly fixed now. Thank you, again, this time for your patience with my doofishness.)

December 2022

S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
181920 21222324
25262728293031

Tags

Style Credit